England captain Wayne Rooney 1 England captain Wayne Rooney appears to be a major doubt for Friday’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia after missing training with an ankle injury.The Manchester United striker suffered the knock in Sunday’s 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in the Premier League.Rooney played all 90 minutes at the Emirates Stadium, but was forced to sit out when the 25-man squad first met at St George’s Park on Tuesday and was missing again for the latest session on Wednesday morning.Despite his injury the Three Lions skipper will remain with the England squad this week, though it remains to be seen whether he will travel to Lithuania for the final qualifier of the campaign on MondayWhether he is in the match-day squad or not, Rooney is still expected to be in attendance at Wembley on Friday, where Sir Bobby Charlton will present the 29-year-old forward with a Golden Boot, to recognise his achievement of becoming England’s all-time leading goal scorer against Switzerland last month.Rooney broke Charlton’s own long-standing tally with a penalty against the Swiss, taking the nation’s record up to 50 goals, and the 1966 World Cup winner will present him with the boot before kick-off.As part of the celebrations, a huge flag adorned with a picture of Rooney will be passed over fans at Wembley on Friday. The background of the surfer flag will be made up of tweets sent in by England fans.The Football Association has also revealed a mural of the England captain will be unveiled in one of the concourses at Wembley before kick-off.
Gianfranco Zola has backed beleaguered Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to come through his Stamford Bridge crisis.Mourinho is feeling the heat following a nightmare start to the season, which has seen the Premier League champions lose SEVEN of their opening 12 matches.Roman Abramovich is reportedly weighing up whether to ditch the Portuguese, with Carlo Ancelotti linked with a return to the Blues hotseat.But Zola believes the pressure on Mourinho is ‘unfair’ and is confident he will emerge stronger from this difficult period of his career if given time.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the Chelsea legend said: “When they played Stoke they deserved more than that [a 1-0 defeat] and if they keep playing with the same intensity their results will come back.“People always forget easily what you have done in the past. Managers are always under scrutiny.“It is a little bit unfair because we are talking about one of the most successful managers in history. But I am sure he will come back stronger from this.“Football is so unpredictable and sometimes situations like this can bring the best out of the players, the best out of the manager, and I really hope this is going to be one of those cases.”
1 Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino with striker Harry Kane Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has no concerns over Harry Kane’s future, despite links with both Manchester United and Chelsea.United failed in their attempts to land the England striker in the summer, and his return to red-hot form has once again led to transfer speculation.Chelsea are the latest club being touted with a move, with the Blues reportedly ready to wait until the end of the season to begin their full-scale pursuit of Kane.But after the 22-year-old’s ninth goal in six games fired Spurs into the knockout stages of the Europa League with a 1-0 triumph against Qarabag in Baku, Pochettino said: “I am happy that a big club want our players – this is because they show they are a top player with top performances. It is good when they are linked.“But Harry, like Hugo Lloris, wants to stay here. He is one of the best players and he is very happy. He wants to grow up with us and try the next few years to try for the top four and win titles with Tottenham. This is his challenge.”Pochettino sprang a surprise by picking Kane in a strong starting line-up against the Group J minnows Qarabag, despite facing Chelsea less than 72 hours later.But the move paid off as Kane nodded a 78th-minute winner to ensure Tottenham’s longest-ever journey for a competitive fixture – a 5,000-mile round trip to the capital of Azerbaijan – proved worthwhile as they made the last 32 with a match to spare.“We are through to the next round and this was our objective,” Pochettino said.“The objective is gone now. We will make sure we will arrive in a good condition to play Chelsea. We have a strong squad and a strong mentality, with the maturity.“It is true we arrive maybe not in the best condition to compete in the right way but respect to our medical staff for what they do – they will work during the flight and [on Friday] we have a day off. On Saturday we will assess.”
DONEGAL was today named as the worst local authority in Ireland for unpaid rates.Local government auditors found that Donegal County Council is losing an incredible €12 in unpaid rates and levies from businesses, property developers and householders.It has meant the authority has been left struggling to collect enough money to pay for vital services. A report by the Department of the Environment’s local government audit service shows the majority of local authorities recorded a deficit at the end of 2009.But the most significant were Donegal (which faced a deficit of €12 million), Meath (a €9 million deficit) and Waterford (a €7 million deficit).By comparison, Dublin’s three local authorities actually had a surplus.Auditors say the poor performance in collecting water charges in Donegal and other counties appears to be linked to problems such as the introduction of meters, disputed charges, inadequate follow-up of arrears and financial difficulties experienced by customers. BUSINESSES STRUGGLINGSources in Donegal County Council told donegaldaily.com today said the biggest problem in collecting arrears related to businesses which are ‘simply struggling to survive’.The source added: “The figure looks bad but it reflects where the county is right now with so many small businesses really struggling to pay any bills.”TELL US YOUR VIEW….LEAVE A COMMENT BELOWDONEGAL AT TOP OF UNPAID RATES LEAGUE was last modified: June 30th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Department of EnvironmentDONEGAL AT TOP OF UNPAID RATES LEAGUEDonegal County Council
Donegal Pens brothers Ronan and Conor Mc GarveyThe McGarvey brothers of Donegal Pens have just made a major investment in their business taking it to a new level.Not to be beaten by the refusal of funding from state agencies due to their young age, the Loughanure boys have taken a huge step to further their business.Ronan, 17, and Conor, 14, travelled to the UK where they spent “quite a lot” of their hard earned cash on a new laser engraving system. The boys had been outsourcing their engraving work since last year but decided that it was time to look at in-house engraving.The newly installed Mantech laser machine now allows them to laser engrave names, messages, logos, etc on the wood part of their handmade pens. In addition to that they can also engrave glass, marble, tile, ceramics, aluminium, leather and many other materials. They have even personalised the flutes for the Mullaghduff marching band.The new system is one of just four from the long established UK based Mantech company’s laser systems that is operating in Ireland and the boys are excited about the new addition to their business.“We explored this option for quite some time but the price of some of the basic laser systems we looked at exceeded €12,000 and that just wasn’t within our budget. We were put in touch with Mantech UK and travelled over to see their high end equipment and soon realised it was what we needed. “We underwent onsite training at their facility, and following some negotiations on price, we returned to Loughanure with the new system for somewhat less than €12,000,” said Conor.The boys looked at several machine options and finally went with a model that can both engrave and cut a variety of materials. It has an engraving bed size of 600 x 400mm that will allow them to carry out many other projects in addition to engraving their pens.They were fortunate to secure a very large corporate order for pens recently and decided they would reinvest the proceeds and put it towards the funds required for the new system.“It was a huge sum of money to be handing over but we decided that we would take the plunge and add a new dimension to our business. Unfortunately our age restricts us from receiving any grant aid or financial support which we feel is ridiculous. It’s not much of an incentive for young entrepreneurs when funding agencies won’t entertain you because “you’re too young” but that isn’t going to stop us in trying to bring Donegal Pens to a new level,” said Ronan.It took a bit of time for the boys to get accustomed to the new equipment but they have finally ironed out all the issues and are now up and running with the latest addition to their business. “So far we’ve had a lot of enquiries and orders for both personal and corporate gifts. The fact that we can engrave company logos etc is a huge bonus as businesses like to use our pens as corporate gifts. Our options for engraving and cutting are basically unlimited so we are excited about this new chapter for Donegal Pens,” added Conor.Donegal Pens are now stocked in just under forty outlets in Ireland and three in Germany, and the new engraving option is also available on www.donegalpens.comDONEGAL PEN BOYS WRITE ANOTHER CHAPTER ON THE ROAD TO SUCCESS was last modified: July 20th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DONEGAL PENSengraving system
A manager is required for the Sandwich Company on Main Street in Letterkenny.The Sandwich Company on Main Street in Letterkenny.The position will see the successful applicant manage this busy coffee shop and bakery.Experience in the catering industry is essential. If you think that you have the experience to fill such a post then send your CV to [email protected] JOB VACANCY: THE SANDWICH COMPANY, LETTERKENNY IS LOOKING FOR A MANAGER was last modified: February 26th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalletterkennyThe Sandwich CompanyVacancy
A large crowd attended a meeting in the Mevagh Family Resource Centre in Downings to discuss a time frame on the rollout of fibre broadband in the area. The meeting was attended by Stiofán Ó Cúlláin, Chief Executive of Údarás na Gaeltachta, Minister of State with Special Responsibility for Gaeltacht Affairs and Natural Resources, Joe Mc Hugh and Counsellors Mick Quinn, Gerry Mc Monagle, Liam Blaney, and a wide representation from the business community.Pádraig Mc Ginty who chaired the meeting began by reading out a statement from Paul Bradley, Director of Corporate Affairs, Eircom. He stated that fibre broadband is already available in Carrigart and work to extend services to Downings has already commenced.Eircom will be providing this service with fibre to the cabinet architecture (FTTC), Downings, which will offer speeds of up to 100Mb/s to the local community. Construction of the sub-duct has now completed and work to run the fibre cable through the duct to the specific cabinet location in Downings will commence shortly. At this stage, Eircom network planners are hopeful that service to customers may be available within approximately six months.When completed, premises located within approximately 1.5 to 2 kilometres of Downings village should see speed benefits. Broadband remains a distance technology so by definition those homes and businesses located closest to the cabinet will see the fastest speeds. It is important to note that while many customers in Downings will benefit not all will.For customers on the Ros Goill Peninsula who will not benefit from our commercial rollout via Carrigart or Downings, they will fall under the Government’s planned National Broadband Plan, which sets out a plan to provide every home and business with a minimum of 30Mb/s by 2020. Stiofán O Cúlláin stated that Údarás has recently invested in bringing broadband to other areas of Donegal and were ready to invest in bringing it to the Industrial Estate and that fast speed broadband was essential in promoting industry.Minister Mc Hugh stated that in addition to the 12 million investment by Eircom in the broadband networks in Donegal, Vodafone has also invested 4 million in upgrading services in the county by introducing 4G. Downings was one of the first regions to upgrade to enhanced 3G data services. Carrigart will have 4G in September though it is not possible to confirm that Downings will receive it as a result.A follow up meeting will take place in the Mevagh Family Resource Centre at 7.30pm on Wednesday the 7th of October. Paul Bradley, Eircom Director of Corporate Affairs has committed to attending this meeting.DOWNINGS SEEKS COMMITMENT ON BROADBAND SERVICE was last modified: September 1st, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:broadbanddonegalDownings
1 Transfer rumours and paper review Here are the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers and online…Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been offered to Arsenal as the Paris Saint-Germain striker eyes a move to the Premier League this summer. London is reportedly the Swedish superstar’s preferred destination, with Chelsea also linked with a move. (Daily Mirror)Chelsea are lining up a bid for impressive Leicester midfielder N’Golo Kante. The 24-year-old has been a revelation for the Foxes this season and has attracted interest from Stamford Bridge as well as Real Madrid. (Daily Mirror)Incoming boss Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has reportedly told sporting director Txiki Begiristain to place captain Vincent Kompany on the transfer list. (The Sun)Arsenal are monitoring Napoli’s Gonzalo Higuain, 28, as they target a world-class striker this summer. (Football Insider).Antonio Conte wants to sign Juventus centre-half Leonardo Bonucci as a long-term replacement for John Terry if he is made Chelsea boss as is expected in the summer. (Daily Telegraph)Chelsea will have cough up £35million to sign Roma defender Kostas Manolas this summer, after the Blues failed with a £26m bid for the 24-year-old Greek international. (The Sun)Mancehster City target David Alaba, 23, is in talks about signing a new deal with Bayern Munich. (Manchester Evening News)Manchester United are ready to bid this summer for Santos midfielder Thiago Maia, 18. (Sport Witness)West Ham manager Slaven Bilic says the Hammers are interested in signing 25-year-old Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Havard Nordtveit. (Sky Sports)Patrick Kluivert is keen to join Newcastle’s backroom staff to help Rafael Benitez’ bid to keep the Magpies in the Premier League. (Newcastle Chronicle)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…?Frank McLintock on Arsenal: It’s time to act like we ARE one of the top teams in the worldClaudio Ranieri will NOT leave Leicester for Italy manager role‘I understand why Mark Noble didn’t make the England squad’ – Danny Murphy on talkSPORTWest Ham midfielder Michail Antonio rejects Jamaica call-up in favour of EnglandSlaven Bilic confirms West Ham ‘monitoring’ former Arsenal youngster Havard Nordtveit but denies deal is doneNewcastle v Sunderland: Rob Elliot claims Toon are a ‘top 10 team in terms of quality’Transfer report: Everton and Liverpool both keen on Paris Saint-Germain starlet Presnel KimpembePaul Pogba latest: PSG ahead of Chelsea and Manchester City in battle for £80m France star
Check out this amazing long range effort from the Serbian SuperLiga!Borac’s Miroljub Kosti? belted the ball past Javor to claim a 1-0 victory for his side.Watch the effort above and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!
The task became more difficult in the 65th minute when a Dons player received a red card, forcing El Rancho to finish regulation and the overtime with 10 players. “I’d like to praise my kids for their effort in those last 50 minutes,” Dons coach Alex Clark said. “We played with a lot of pride and with a lot of honor and with a lot of heart. “I think we’ve hit our turning point with this game.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “I think we had a few more chances than they did, but we didn’t finish. We had our moments where we made mistakes, but overall both teams played well.” The visiting Condors (10-1-1, 2-0-1) stunned the home crowd by jumping out to an early lead on the first shot attempt of the game. PICO RIVERA – In a clash between two boys soccer teams at the top of the Del Rio League, neither California High School nor El Rancho seized control of the league race Thursday, the game ending in a 1-1 overtime tie. “The competition (between the two teams) is very, very good,” California coach Dave Rolfe said. “They played well and we played well. Both teams gave a 110 percent. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa AnitaIn the fifth minute, California goalkeeper Mario Escorcia sent a long kick that bounded over the heads of two defenders. Junior forward Michael Paz settled the ball at the top of the 18-yard box, then booted it past the El Rancho keeper into the net to give the Condors what proved to be their only goal of the afternoon. For the next 10 minutes, both teams played long ball, sending lengthy passes down the sidelines and putting their speedy forwards in a footrace with the defense. Midway through the first period, El Rancho (8-2-4, 2-0-1) settled into its contrasting, ball-control style. After staving off another shot attempt on a free kick, the Dons evened the score in the 23rd minute. Behind midfielder Rigelio Nuno and forward Luis Segovia, the Condors kept the pressure on, managing 14 shots in regulation play and three more during the overtime. El Rancho’s defense, spearheaded by sweeper Miguel Gonzalez and midfielder Alex Ibarra in combination with Salvador Vega, kept California out of the goal.