Portmore United head coach Linval Dixon was excited about his team’s 2-1 win against Tivoli Gardens in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) second-leg quarter-final at the Wembley Centre of Excellence yesterday. Portmore advanced to the semi-final, 3-2, on aggregate following a 1-1 draw in the first leg a week ago at Tivoli’s Edward Seaga Sports Complex. The Portmore team settled early and took the lead when Javon East netted past Tivoli’s goalkeeper, Davian Watkins, in the fifth minute. However, Tivoli equalised when central defender Barrington Pryce converted a penalty in the 23rd minute. But, Portmore found the winner courtesy of captain Ewan Grandison, who scored in the 40th minute. Dixon described his team’s performance as an improvement over the first game. “It was a much better performance from the team today. We knew the game would be physical, so we were prepared,” Dixon said at the conclusion of the game. GOOD PERFORMANCE “Of course, we are very happy and excited about the win against a good Tivoli team. It was good to see the team come back and give a good performance after the first-leg draw last week,” the former national defender added. Tivoli introduced former Reggae Boy Jermaine ‘Teddy’ Johnson at the start of the second half, and he added some venom to their attack. Johnson, who was back after being sidelined due to a hamstring injury came close when his free kick was saved by Portmore’s custodian, Shaven-Sean Paul. “We knew that Jermaine would be involved at some stage, but it was not about planning for any individual but the entire Tivoli team,” he said about Johnson’s appearance. Tivoli’s coach Damion Gordon said that he was very disappointed with his team’s performance. “The team failed to follow instruction,” an upset Gordon said. The RSPL will continue tonight with the second-leg quarter-final between champions Montego Bay United and Arnett Gardens at the Montego Bay Sports Complex in Catherine Hall, St James. Both teams are locked at 1-1 on aggregate heading into the 8 pm kickoff.
Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Injury disrupted his first season in New York and in March last year he was hit with a 20-game suspension for violating the league’s anti-drug policy.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak MOST READ “We’re not going to comment on that stuff. Personal reasons. He won’t be with us the next couple of games,” Hornacek said.The New York Daily News reported that Noah had been sidelined after shouting at Hornacek during the Knicks loss to the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkNoah was reportedly unhappy after being removed in the fourth quarter having played only four minutes and 20 seconds.The 32-year-old has endured a rocky spell in New York after joining the team in 2016 after nine years with the Chicago Bulls. Bounce back time View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases Joakim Noah (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez, File)New York, United States — New York Knicks center Joakim Noah will miss the team’s next two games due to personal reasons, the club said Thursday, amid reports of a bust-up with coach Jeff Hornacek.Hornacek confirmed to reporters that Noah would miss at least two games but declined to go into details concerning the French star’s omission.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Ben Dawson defended his crown in the Blizzard Bike Club’s 4th Annual Beatton to Death mountain bike race on Saturday.Dawson wasn’t however guaranteed a win during the race, which took place on the Beatton Park trails. Chetwynd’s Corwin Bowers was leading the pack up to the 1.5 hour mark, before Dawson took over to win the event with 17 laps covered over 6 hours.The Top 5 riders from the race were:1. Ben Dawson 17 lapsCorwin Bowers 16 lapsJosh Telizyn/Tyler Brunet covered 16 laps as a relay teamDawit Feyissa 14 lapsRobert Sapp 12 laps- Advertisement -On Sunday, it was Matt Gilmore taking the title in the Kal Tire road race, covering the 45 kilometre distance in a time of 1:20:00 hours. Richard Wood edged out Kristine Bock for second at 1:21:14. Ard Hoogenboom was 4th at 1:25:13 and 5th was Pat Ferris at 1:27:13.
“We can be happy because we reached a lot of our goals from early in the year that probably no one really believed but us,” said Lodrick Stewart, who led USC with 22 points. “The coaching staff taught us a lot and brought us beyond what we thought we could do this year.” USC (21-10, 11-7) will play sixth-seeded Stanford in the first round of the Pac-10 tournament Thursday at 6:20 p.m. The teams split two games in the regular season, with USC winning last week at Galen Center. This game mirrored USC’s season so far, with a lot for the coaching staff to be happy about but not the desired conclusion. It’s the first time the Trojans lost consecutive games. Stewart forced overtime with a 3-pointer from in front of the USC bench with five seconds left in regulation. Many of his family members, who came over from Seattle for the game, got a great view of the shot from right behind the bench. Stewart had a chance to win the game in the first overtime when he was hit on the elbow by Kyle Weaver on a 3-point attempt with 2.1 seconds to go and the Trojans trailing by two points. PULLMAN, WA. – USC players and coaches shook hands with their opponents at midcourt Saturday and walked into the tunnel with a hint of smiles among their faces. Call it a glass-half-full point of view. A regular season full of positives ended with a disappointing 88-86 double-overtime loss to No. 13 Washington State at Beasley Coliseum. The Trojans, ranked No. 23, lost the battle for second place in the Pacific-10 Conference but couldn’t be too discouraged with third after entering the season picked to finish sixth by the media. It’s USC’s highest placement since taking second in 2001-02. The Trojans were last in the Pac-10 just two years ago. After making the first free throw, he missed the second. The Cougars (24-6, 13-5) called a timeout to ice him but Stewart came out and hit the final free throw to force another extra period. “I just wish I could have made one more free throw,” Stewart said. “It’s frustrating because I knew if I made those three, I could seal the game. That last free throw, whew, I was nervous in there on that one. I miss it, we lose. I make it, we get another shot.” In double overtime, USC trailed by three with 45 seconds remaining. Stewart attempted a 3-pointer to tie the game once again but it barely nicked the rim. Gabe Pruitt hit two 3-pointers down the stretch but Washington State made its free throws to hold off the Trojans. Taj Gibson’s full-court heave at the buzzer came up well short. USC nearly pulled out the victory despite playing without leading scorer Nick Young for both overtimes. Young fouled out with 18 seconds left in regulation. He stopped at the free throw line and tried a series of moves to get defender Weaver up in the air with the Trojans trailing by two points. But Weaver stayed on the ground, Young lowered his shoulder and Weaver flopped to the floor. An offensive foul was called. It was similar the first game between the teams, a 58-55 Washington State win at Galen Center, when Young caught the inbounds pass down by one in the final seconds and was called for charging at midcourt. “It’s one of the things I was proud of,” coach Tim Floyd said. “I think our guys played well without him.” “It was very hard,” Young said. “It was hard to see my teammates out there and not be able to do anything to be a part of it except cheer for them.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Tom Rennie is joined by the former Chelsea, QPR, Fulham and Sunderland winger Clive Walker to talk about the Blues’ start to the season and whether Jose Mourinho’s men are still title favourites. Clive also has his say on this weekend’s derby between Newcastle and Sunderland.The former Celtic and Brighton defender Adam Virgo joins us to talk about Manchester United, having covered their defeat of Liverpool last weekend.The former Arsenal winger Adrian Clarke gives us his ‘three to watch’ and Alvaro Romeo, talkSPORT’s Spanish Premier League editor, joins us to play the final ‘Tom against the World’ of 2014.
New Chelsea vice-captain Branislav Ivanovic believes new signings Asmir Begovic and Radamel Falcao can help the club retain the Premier League title next season.The 31-year-old defender is happy Jose Mourinho has strengthened his squad with the acquisition of the ex-Stoke goalkeeper as a direct replacement for Petr Cech, while Manchester United misfit Falcao replaces departed club legend Didier Drogba.“I wish Asmir a good career in Chelsea and during all the years he was in Stoke he was one of the best in the league, and I hope he can help our team,” the Serbian international told chelseafc.com.Ivanovic is also relieved to have Falcao as a team-mate now rather than having to play against the powerful Colombia forward next season.He said: “Especially when we remember how he good he was when he played against us. He is scoring goals in training and is working hard to be at that level.“The new guys are always happy when they arrive at Chelsea.“They adapt very quickly and all of the guys help the new ones with this. It shows how good the atmosphere is inside our team.” 1 Asmir Begovic
Sharon Doherty with husband JoeyHAPPY 4oth Birthday to Sharon Doherty from Gleneely – currently native of Malin.With best wishes from all your friends in the scout!“Your hair’s looking well” * Send your birthday greetings with pix to firstname.lastname@example.org LORDY LORDY LOOK WHO’S 40 – SHARON DOHERTY CELEBRATES HER BIRTHDAY was last modified: March 6th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:LORDY LORDY LOOK WHO’S 40 – SHARON DOHERTY CELEBRATES HER BIRTHDAY
Newcastle United target Pepe Reina has been offered a new contract by Napoli which contains a £4m release-clause for clubs outside of Italy.The Spaniard’s current deal expires in a year and he has been locked in negotiations for months over an extension.Napoli are desperate for the 34-year-old to pen fresh terms, but Newcastle are also offering him the chance to return to England.Reina previously spent nine years in the Premier League with Liverpool and his former boss Rafa Benitez reportedly wants to bring him to St. James’ Park.Napoli, though, still want the goalkeeper to sign a new contract and, according to Radio Crc, they have offered him terms which contain a release-clause.The agreement in the deal would allow Reina to join clubs in certain countries outside of Italy for around £4m.The Spaniard is reportedly more willing to agree to such a contract along these lines, although he is said to want his release-clause lowered to £1.5m. 1 Pepe Reina
REVEALED no dice It was another eventful Mourinho press conference 2 huge blow Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars possible standings This claim by Mourinho sparked an explosive reaction from Durham who vowed to name TEN managers who are currently better than the three-time Premier League champion.Below you can see which managers Durham believes are better than Mourinho and you can listen to the full debate with co-Drivetime presenter Darren Gough above.Durham said: “He [Mourinho] said finishing second last season was one of his greatest achievements, how embarrassing!“Jose is not currently in the top ten managers in the world. Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures Durham believes Mourinho is following Arsene Wenger’s footsteps as a former great England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won “Let me throw in a few others you can debate. If you go down the pound for pound route how about Eddie Howe at Bournemouth? Sean Dyche finishing seventh last season although right now Burnley are not so great.“What about Nuno Espirito Santo at Wolves or Slavisa Jokanovic for the football they play at Fulham?“He has been one of the best without a doubt. He was brilliant but isn’t anymore.“He is absolutely the new Arsene Wenger!” 2 Pochettino – ✅Klopp – ✅Sarri – ✅Mourinho – ❌@talkSPORTDrive says Jose Mourinho is NOT one of the top ten managers in the world 😲 pic.twitter.com/neatmjLyi6— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) August 31, 2018“Let me give you ten who are better – Zinedine Zidane as he’s won three Champions League’s in a row.“Pep Guardiola – Manchester City are champions and play stunning football.“Pound for pound Mauricio Pochettino is better. Have a look at what Pochettino’s doing at Spurs and then look at what Mourinho is doing at United. Poch is better!“Jurgen Klopp – amazing football.“Diego Simeone – Jose is a poor man’s Simeone! talkSPORT’s Adrian Durham launched a huge attack on Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho for comments the Portuguese made during his pre-match press conference on Friday.Mourinho, who is under pressure following United’s poor start to the season, launched another furious defence of his managerial credentials and even declared himself as “one of the greatest managers in the world”. Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card silverware shining Latest Premier League News “Didier Deschamps – World Cup winner. Did you see the football France played at the tournament? Mourinho has good players but can’t make them play well.“I’ll have Leonardo Jardim in there as well. He performed miracles at Monaco.“Massimiliano Allegri the Juventus boss – that goes without saying.“Ernesto Valverde the Barcelona boss – double winners and they play great football.And finally Maurizio Sarri. Check out the brand of football Napoli played under him! Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? smart causal REVEALED
SORRY Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos whoops Carner receive the abuse while playing for Chelsea Women against Fiorentina Most read on talkSPORT.com Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ LATEST latest Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? 2 scrap revealed Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion gameday cracker Carney has represented England 133 times and has also turned out for Arsenal and Birmingham at club level tense He shared a further post on Friday directed towards an unnamed England Women international, which included a rape threat and a follow-up message suggesting it was “headline” grabbing.Neville wrote on Thursday: “A message sent to one of my @lionesses players last night, absolutely disgraceful”. He went on to ask Instagram: “Are you going to do something about it?”He added on Friday: “Another disgraceful awful despicable message sent to one of my @lionesses – @instagram can you do a better job at protecting my players who use your social media platform!!”The FA is backing Neville and has demanded action.“We are appalled and dismayed by the abuse directed towards Karen Carney on social media,” the FA said in a statement on Thursday. Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City The FA on Thursday called on the police and social media companies to help shut down online abuse after the threats.Sarri, asked about the issue at his weekly media conference on Friday, said: “It’s not acceptable. It’s disgusting.”The 59-year-old admitted that he is not familiar with the use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media platforms.But he praised Carney’s footballing ability after her decisive penalty in Chelsea’s Women’s Champions League win over Fiorentina on Wednesday night.Sarri added: “I watched the last match against Fiorentina. She’s a very good midfielder, I think. She scored.”It was Neville who highlighted the abuse 133-cap international Carney had received, sharing the abusive Instagram post. The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has become the latest figure to condemn the social media abuse directed towards Karen Carney.Carney, the Chelsea Women midfielder, has already been supported by England Women manager Phil Neville and the Football Association after an Instagram post wished ‘cancer, leukaemia and rape’ upon her. Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings “The FA takes such matters extremely seriously and we are offering our full support to Karen. The abuse of players on social networking sites is a serious concern and we call on the police and social media organisations to do everything they can to help tackle this growing problem“We provide all our senior England players with training, guidance and support on the use of social media and treat our duty of care in this regard with the utmost importance.”Instagram removed the account responsible for the first messages as the company does not “tolerate threatening or abusive behaviour”. BEST OF 2 Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT predicted